Tuesday, 22 September 2026

A Personal Journey of Questioning Medicine

Since I was 11 years old, when I was hospitalised in Brunei after injuring my leg while playing on a metal swing, I have never been fond of taking medication. I used to refuse medication, and the nurses would sometimes pinch my nose to force my mouth open and place the medicine inside. At the time, I was completely bedridden, with a plaster cast extending up to my waist.

After about six months, the plaster was removed, and a shorter cast was placed from my thigh downward. I could then move around in a wheelchair and even go to the toilet independently. I began pretending to be a compliant and obedient child in front of the nurses and took the medication when they gave it to me. After a few days, once they trusted me enough to hand me the medicine, I would take it to the toilet and throw it into the pan instead. Even as a child, I had a strong instinctive resistance to taking medication, and that experience has stayed with me.

Interestingly, my childhood experience in hospital also shaped my career. The kindness and care I received from some of the nurses inspired me, at the age of 13, to decide that I wanted to become a nurse. I pursued my education accordingly and became a registered nurse in 1995. However, during my nursing studies, I came to believe strongly that prevention is better than cure. This led me away from a long-term clinical career and towards community-based work.

My early experience with medication therefore left me with a lasting reservation about taking medicines unless they are genuinely necessary, for example, to prevent or treat serious infection or inflammation. I have always been interested in hearing evidence-based perspectives from medical professionals and experts, particularly their critical views on pharmaceutical drugs and the commercial systems through which they are developed, tested and marketed in the name of treatment and cure.

That is why discovering Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal: A Guide for Prescribers, Therapists, Patients and Their Families, written by psychiatrist Dr. Peter Breggin, was an eye-opening experience for me. The publisher states:

“This is the first book to establish guidelines and to assist prescribers and therapists in withdrawing their patients from psychiatric drugs, including those patients with long-term exposure to antipsychotic drugs, benzodiazepines, stimulants, antidepressants, and mood stabilizers. It describes a method developed by the author throughout years of clinical experience, consultations with experienced colleagues, and scientific research. Based on a person-centered collaborative approach, with patients as partners, this method builds on a cooperative and empathic team effort involving prescribers, therapists, patients, and their families or support network.

The author, known for such books as Talking Back to Prozac, Toxic Psychiatry, and Medication Madness, is a lifelong reformer and scientist in mental health whose work has brought about significant change in psychiatric practice. This book provides critical information about when to consider psychiatric drug reduction or withdrawal, and how to accomplish it as safely, expeditiously, and comfortably as possible. It offers the theoretical framework underlying this approach along with extensive scientific information, practical advice, and illustrative case studies that will assist practitioners in multiple ways, including in how to:

  • Recognize common and sometimes overlooked adverse drug effects that may require withdrawal.
  • Treat emergencies during drug therapy and during withdrawal.
  • Determine the first drugs to withdraw during multi-drug therapy.
  • Distinguish between withdrawal reactions, newly occurring emotional problems, and recurrence of premedication issues.
  • Estimate the length of withdrawal.”
Likewise, American physician Charles L. Whitfield, who specializes in helping survivors of childhood trauma with their recovery and in treating addictions, including alcoholism and related disorders, reviews the book, stating:
'As a physician who specializes in addiction medicine and drug withdrawal and written widely on them, I recommend Dr. Breggin's book to every health professional who deals with anyone taking psychiatric drugs. He gives highly useful information and reasons for stopping or avoiding them. It's an excellent one-stop source of information about psychiatric drug effects and withdrawal. Prescribers, therapists, patients, and families will benefit from this guidebook.'

“Gradually, as more and more of our needs are met, we discover a crucial truth: that we are the most influential, effective and powerful person who can help us get what we need. The more we realize this, the more we can seek out, ask for and actually realize our needs. As we do so, our Child Within begins to awaken and eventually to flourish, grow and create.”
― Charles L. Whitfield, Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families (Book)

No comments:

Post a Comment