Wednesday 28 November 2018

My journey from full time employee to social entrepreneur!! ๐Ÿ˜‹

After graduating as a nurse from a three-year diploma-level nursing education program in 1995, I began my professional career at Koshi Zonal Hospital in Biratnagar, where I worked for 10 months. Based on the suggestions and advice of my Campus Chief, Aaitu Maya Chhetri, I then joined the Women's Rehabilitation Centre, where I worked for nearly 18 months. Subsequently, I joined Paropakar Maternity and Women's Hospital for an additional 10 months. During this 38-month period, I was actively seeking an opportunity to pursue further education.

In November 1998, I enrolled in the Bachelor of Nursing program at Lalitpur Nursing Campus under Tribhuvan University Institute of Medicine. I successfully completed my degree in November 2000 and subsequently joined CARE International in Nepal in January 2001. I worked with CARE for three years until January 2004, during which I had the opportunity to go to Australia and pursue a Master's in Public Health through the financial support of the Australian Development Scholarship.

Upon my return from Australia in April 2006, I made the decision not to work as an employee. However, the social environment was not conducive to this choice. Consequently, I joined Hope International Nepal as a Lecturer, teaching Bachelor of Public Health and Bachelor of Nursing students. Despite the teaching role, I felt dissatisfied as I yearned to make a direct impact on women's lives and address the issues I observed during my time working with nursing students.

Drawing on my previous experiences at Paropakar Maternity and Women's Hospital and the Women's Rehabilitation Centre, I aspired to do something different that could truly make a difference in the lives of women. My Master's project on Maternal Health, based on fieldwork I conducted in Mahottari district through CARE Nepal, further solidified my dedication to this cause.

Given my diverse professional experiences within different organizations over a six-year period, I was eager to embark on a path that would empower nurses, nursing students, and childbearing women while fostering personal autonomy. It was during this period of contemplation that I stumbled upon the "National Policy on Skilled Birth Attendants 2006" while researching references for my teaching. These words, coupled with the encouragement of my colleague Pushpa Lata Pandey from CARE Nepal, who often advocated for entrepreneurship, sparked the idea of establishing a birthing center. In 2007, partnering with 15 women working in various organizations, we successfully established the birthing center, investing our own personal funds. Drawing on our collective experiential learning, we registered the center as a private limited company instead of an NGO, as we aimed for sustainability and self-reliance rather than dependence on donors.

This marked the beginning of my journey from employee to entrepreneur and employer, gaining seven years of work experience across five different organizations: Koshi Zonal Hospital, WOREC, Prasuti Griha, CARE Nepal, and HOPE International. Although I personally bear the expenses of employee salaries and rent for our birthing center, I find fulfillment in the work I do for society and the people of Nepal. Any income I generate from freelancing or other sources is dedicated to the survival and growth of our Birth Center. While this may not be the most progressive or sustainable approach to entrepreneurship, it is the current reality I face. Despite efforts to form partnerships through private-public collaboration with Paropakar Maternity and Women's Hospital and Lalitpur Metropolitan City, those endeavors unfortunately did not come to fruition.

In 2008, despite my reluctance, I had to seek employment to cover employee salaries and rent for our birthing center. Consequently, I joined GIZ Support to Peace Process and worked there until January 2011. Following this, I went to Australia to pursue my doctorate.

While pursuing my doctorate in Australia from 2011 to March 2015, supported by the Australian Leadership Award, I saved a portion of my scholarship stipend and sent it to Nepal to cover rent and salaries, ensuring the continued operation of our Birth Center.

Through my own experiential learning over 11 years of operating the APS Birth and Reproductive Health Centre, I have realized the immense difficulties and challenges of sustaining an enterprise driven by social motives. However, partnering with professional women and others, I have learned the importance of mutual support for growth, development, survival, and thriving. Although we may not accumulate material wealth, the metaphysical and spiritual rewards are significant.

Life is a journey of learning, struggling, and self-correction, guided by the laws of nature. Moving forward, I am committed to continuing my learning, persevering through challenges, and finding joy in pursuing my passion, all with the aim of making a difference in the lives of Nepalese women and girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment